View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ] 
This new book with the Klebolds in it.. "Far from the Tree" 

Post This new book with the Klebolds in it.. "Far from the Tree"
This was on "Today" show this morning. 20$, and Tom and Sue's chapter is like 10 pages, but I think it will be worth it. Here is the segment with the author, Andrew Solomon.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/ ... 8#49742468

EDIT: Sorry if there was already a thread with this, I didnt find it, and this was the first Id heard f this book. Hope I dont look a total ass, lol.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Post Re: This new book with the Klebolds in it.. "Far from the Tr
Arc77 wrote:
This was on "Today" show this morning. 20$, and Tom and Sue's chapter is like 10 pages, but I think it will be worth it. Here is the segment with the author, Andrew Solomon.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/ ... 8#49742468

EDIT: Sorry if there was already a thread with this, I didnt find it, and this was the first Id heard f this book. Hope I dont look a total ass, lol.

This is new to me, thanks for bringing it to my attention, Arc.

I am, but I'm not surprised that the Klebold's are slowly talking more - I'm wondering if they are are building up to an in person, televised interview.

Very interesting.

That Sue prayed/wished Dylan would die, by his own hand, before he could hurt someone else is a big revelation.

I hope Sue and Tom find some peace talking to others about their grief and suffering, but I do wonder if it doesn't throw salt into old wounds for other victim families or for the Harris family...

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Thank you for sharing this!!

It just breaks my heart hearing Sue's side of the story! Dylan's parents just seem so great: I almost wish they were my parents :D . It makes me wonder: how could he do this to them? I think he was just too far off!

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Wow...this is absolutely BRAND NEW to me too. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this with us, Arc!

I have to be honest - I'm not all that surprised that Tom and Sue Klebold are slowly but surely speaking out more and more about Dylan. Ever since the very beginning, the Klebolds have been the more open and forthcoming of the two sets of parents, and I sense that Sue Klebold, in particular, has a HUGE, insatiable need and desire inside of her to "give their side of the story" and to "purge" herself of all of the conflicted emotions, thoughts, feelings and chaos that is probably constantly swirling around inside her head over the tragedy.

I feel like opening up to the public and "getting all of this off of her chest", so to speak, is probably therapeutic and cathartic for her, on some level. Like a Catholic going to Confession. She desperately needs and wants people to understand how devastated and truly sorry her and Tom are, how they genuinely had NO INDICATION that something like was going to happen, and how Dylan's horrific actions in NO WAY reflect the way that they raised him, or the values and morality that they tried to instill in him.

I really REALLY loved the fact that Sue openly admitted that she still loves Dylan. This quote practically had me in tears: "While I recognize that it would have been better for the world if Dylan had not been born, I believe it would not have been better for me." You could tell that even the news anchor was becoming emotional just repeating the quote out loud on camera. :cry:

Another quote that made me emotional was Sue's explanation for why her and Tom have never moved out of the house in Littleton that they shared with Dylan: "You know, if we'd moved, everyone who met us would have met us as the parents of that killer, and here there were people who already knew and loved us, but more important, there were people who had loved Dylan, and that's what we needed to be with."

WOW. What an extremely powerful and heart-wrenching statement. And what a beautiful explanation for why they never moved. Her unconditional and unwavering love for Dylan makes me want to bawl. She is an incredible person, with a beautiful, warm, gentle soul and spirit.

On a side note, I have to say that I find Andrew Solomon incredibly likeable, and I can see why the Klebolds would have grown to feel very comfortable and at ease with him, and granted him exclusive access to their private thoughts and feelings. It really makes me wish that HE had been the person who wrote "Columbine".

Thank you so much, Arc, for this unbelievable find! :D

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:02 pm

Appreciate ya, Arc!

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Whew, cool, I wasnt bringing up Old news. Well, obviously this mornings interview with Solomon wasnt old. But anyway, it's surprising to me that we had no inkling of Tom & Sue speaking out until now, apparently this is a larger "coming out" for them, and man am I HAPPY they have chosen to speak out more. The quotes we got here from Sue & Andrew too, did confirm some suspicions I had, and btw I always felt like Cherry. That the Klebolds were the kinder, cooler and even more level headed of the E & D's parents, and all I had to base that on is Kass's book, and their statements in the appology letters to the victims & community and in Sue's Oprah article. I've never gotten the feeling that they failed in any way with how they raised Dylan. I do not blame the Harrisses either, however I do feel they were too trusting of Eric and far too lenient with him, whereas the same sure cant be said of Tom & Sue. Here are two folks, whos hearts and worlds were torn apart in an hour.... I feel for em and wanna hug em myself at times, just as with the families of the victims too. Perhaps enough time has passed that they are geting more comfortable talking, and it will no doubt help them heal. They must have things they wish to share, and have the world to (hopfully) understand about their son, the sweet, funny, smart son THEY knew. Not the sick kid who lost it.... Dylan should have talked to them more, at his age I didnt feel I could talk to my folks about my awkwardness and depression, but I know now I could have. And so could Dylan have... :(

Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:50 pm

What a pleasant surprise. Since we'll probably never see the basement tapes, the next best thing would be a memoir from Sue. This gives me hope that she may eventually consider it.

Cherry wrote:

I really REALLY loved the fact that Sue openly admitted that she still loves Dylan. This quote practically had me in tears: "While I recognize that it would have been better for the world if Dylan had not been born, I believe it would not have been better for me." You could tell that even the news anchor was becoming emotional just repeating the quote out loud on camera. :cry:

Another quote that made me emotional was Sue's explanation for why her and Tom have never moved out of the house in Littleton that they shared with Dylan: "You know, if we'd moved, everyone who met us would have met us as the parents of that killer, and here there were people who already knew and loved us, but more important, there were people who had loved Dylan, and that's what we needed to be with."

Agreed with everything. :cry:

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 pm

Hey Yall, if You catch this in time, Solomon and the Segment about the Klebolds is airing on "Rock Center" on NBC right now (9:00 central)

The more I ponder Sues words, it is pretty big, considering we have so few of their personal thoughts & words on record as it is...

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:03 pm

I'm buying this. More insight hopefully.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:51 pm

WOUHOUUUU!!!!..thank my friend.... I want to buy the damn book.... :wink:

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:21 am

Thanks a million, Arc!

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 am

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... -parenting

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:27 am

Last edited by pax dominus on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Dre wrote:
Sarahgood wrote:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/columbine-killers-parents-dylan-and-sue-klebold-interviewed-in-new-book-on-parenting

'"Sanders, now a family therapist who occasionally works with criminals, said she plans to read the book.

However, she has one concern.

"It does bother me that they may have made money on this," Sanders said."'

I wonder where she heard this?

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the Klebolds were paid for their contribution to the book.

Wouldn't that make sense though? They're opening up and divulging their private thoughts and feelings about an extremely tragic situation that completely turned their lives upside down - why wouldn't they be compensated for it? Andrew Solomon will be making money off of the sales of this book - why shouldn't each of the book's "contributors" profit as well?

I can COMPLETELY understand why it would be seen as distasteful and rub people the wrong way, because the public, particularly the victims families, could perceive it as the Klebolds making a buck off of the misery and horror that their son perpetuated.

However, the Klebolds don't regularly give interviews or write articles/books about Dylan or Columbine, so I think that a one-off contribution to a book 13 years after the tragedy is not an indication that they're greedy, money-grubbing heartless bastards trying to capitalize on it or anything.

I have been thinking more about this though:

1000Days wrote:
I hope Sue and Tom find some peace talking to others about their grief and suffering, but I do wonder if it doesn't throw salt into old wounds for other victim families...

That would be the unfortunate downside to the Klebolds contributing their story to this book, and I have some conflicted feelings about that.

However, ultimately, I still think that it's a beautiful, positive thing that the Klebolds opened up and shared their story, and I think that the potential benefits of this type of disclosure outweigh the negatives.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:32 pm

Sara, Nostalgia & everyone else, thanks much for the kind words to me here, You guys rock 8)

Cherry, Dre & Days... I see where Tom & Sue opening up and talking in this book is probably making them money, but we don't "know" that they were paid.... but it would only make sense. Anyway, we can only imagine how victims families feel about this, and Im sure their feelings are very different from family to family. I dunno what Id think if my kid or bro/sis was a victim. But how I see it myself now is, 1st- Tom & Sue aren't guilty, and all evidence from day one points to them being great parents and not having any idea about the massacre. 2nd- THEY HAVE PAID. Big time, both financially and emotionally & spiritually as well Im sure. If they make some money off this book, it won't be a whole load, like millions or anything. It is easy to see they aren't doing this for financial gain, I cant see it anyway. Point is, they have LOST far, far more than any money or atention they will get from this book even if it were multiplied by 1,000 times =( The way Sue speaks about Dylan is heart breaking. Nothing like a Mothers love. Moreover, I feel that the Klebolds intentions can only be to try and HEAL the situation somehow. Im quite sure they would do or give anything they could if it would un-do any of the tragedy brought by Eric and Dylan on 4/20/99.

This seems promising though, this could lead to more disclosures from them in the future. Personally, they have answered some questions I had just in these few statements released in these NBC clips. Im proud for them.... Thanks Tom & Susan. She's a sweet lady by all accounts.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:37 am

Great - this looks very interesting.

And the Klebold's making money of it was a side-effect of their actual goal: opening up about their conflicted and traumatized past. I'm sure they would've done it even if they wouldn't have been payed a dollar.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:46 am
Profile WWW

I very much doubt that the Klebolds earned any money for this. They don't strike me as people who are either in need of money, or willing to make any off this tragedy.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:07 am

i heard they are only mentioned in chapter 10. the whole book is about parents of kids that kill.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:21 am

ericharris wrote:
i heard they are only mentioned in chapter 10. the whole book is about parents of kids that kill.

Uh, no it's not. Not at all, actually.

The book is called "Far From The Tree" because it's about how parents love children who are very different than they are. This includes children with Autism, children with Down Syndrome, children who are deaf, children who are child prodigies etc.

There is ONE chapter in the book about parents of children who have committed terrible crimes, and the Klebolds are featured in this chapter.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Cherry wrote:
ericharris wrote:

Uh, no it's not. Not at all, actually.

The book is called "Far From The Tree" because it's about how parents love children who are very different than they are. This includes children with Autism, children with Down Syndrome, children who are deaf, children who are child prodigies etc.

There is ONE chapter in the book about parents of children who have committed terrible crimes, and the Klebolds are featured in this chapter.

ah, thanks Cherry.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks Arc, good catch! I watched the NBC thing and the whole book sounds pretty interesting. I've ordered just now, so will let you all know about the chapter.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:26 pm

desti wrote:
Thanks Arc, good catch! I watched the NBC thing and the whole book sounds pretty interesting. I've ordered just now, so will let you all know about the chapter.

It was a VERY lucky thing I caught it, a friend saw the piece on the Today show & called me right then, I then went to the net & looked it all up. You know, this book & the Klebolds disclosures in it just dropped out of the sky, and goes to show that we never know what will turn up from day to day. The rest of the book sounds interesting too, looking forward to what you think of it, but I'd probably order it just for the Klebolds chapter even if it turns out to be boring, depending on what else Sue & Tom say in there. Susan is the most outspoken of the parents & its plain to see why (to me anyway). She is totally heart broken over it all. I think we will hear more from her in the future, she seems to want to talk.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Last edited by pax dominus on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:47 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mother-columbine-shooter-prayed-suicide-article-1.1203743

So many Columbine feelings I was having tonight out of nowhere...and then I go to check the news and Dylan's face is smiling at me on the front page and the headline nearly made me tear up. I can't wait to read this book.

Ugh btw, don't look at the comment section it'll just piss you off. So ignorant. As usual in comment sections but this just hits more close to home.

Ironically on the subject of checking rooms and pressing issues about what was going on in Eric and Dylan's personal lives, the band teacher at school the other day was randomly talking about how he would go through his kids' stuff and check their rooms and I overheard him and I was like :shock: He had a point, I mean if you're a parent paying bills and providing your kid with necessities and luxuries you deserve the piece of mind of knowing that your child isn't in his room building fucking bombs and hoarding a arsenal of guns and shit...

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:04 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
Ironically on the subject of checking rooms and pressing issues about what was going on in Eric and Dylan's personal lives, the band teacher at school the other day was randomly talking about how he would go through his kids' stuff and check their rooms and I overheard him and I was like :shock:

My mother never even let me close my door. But I was such a boring, nerdy kid that I didn't care.

Eric and Dylan's parents were far more lenient than my mother. But I suspect she was orders of magnitude more strict than the average parent.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:20 am

ChillinLikeAVillain wrote:
He had a point, I mean if you're a parent paying bills and providing your kid with necessities and luxuries you deserve the piece of mind of knowing that your child isn't in his room building fucking bombs and hoarding an arsenal of guns and shit...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Never EVER change, Chillin. :D

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Omg Tom and Sue's section is hard to read. My heart keeps breaking for them. It talks about how Tom was shy in school too so on that level he could identify with his son. And they also talk about the ketchup incident, how Sue wishes she reached out to him more at that time. Tom thinks Columbine was toxic and says how an officer told him someone at Columbine once set his kid's hair on fire right in the hallway and his whole scalp was burned. He said that the boys didn't shoot their parents or Kmart, they shot the school, and that's why Tom thinks it was toxic for them and where all their angst came from.

It's just so heartbreaking to read that Tom and Sue saw Dylan as someone who cared for people - "or seemed to" as they said - and how their whole world crashed when they got the news that he was a suspect.

This has probably all been said before but whatever, I'm saying it again haha.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:02 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22019 ... -columbine

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:18 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 28 posts ]